107 Spark FM
107 Spark FM is our community radio station, which can be heard across the city on FM and online around the world. We are the only University in the North of England with a full-time Community Radio Licence and 107 Spark FM was launched in September 2009. We're not new to radio though, we have been broadcasting since 1997 through Utopia FM, a student radio station that operated through short-term licences.
107 Spark FM is broadcast from purpose-built studios at the David Puttnam Media Centre on the Sir Tom Cowie Campus at St Peter's, which serves both students and local residents alike. There are lots of opportunities to get involved in making programmes and running the radio station on a day-to-day basis - from producing shows to deciding what music is played. It is a very exciting opportunity and being a part of it will look great on your CV!
- A radio station serving 15-25 year olds in the City of Sunderland including students, school children, college students and those looking for work
- To support the local music scene and relevant local cultural events
- To create programming (and training) that reflects and promotes social inclusion
- To promote the value of education, particularly higher education
- To create a vibrant, exciting and locally produced radio station
- Encourage our audience to 'have their say' on the issues that affect them
A taste of what we plan
- Support and implementation of social inclusion strategies
- Using radio to develop key skills, such as team working media literacy, via reporting and programme making
- Foster greater community understanding and civic participation
- Promote training, employment, educational and volunteering opportunities
- Support local music and culture
- Promotion of health, sport and leisure