Media Industry Links
As well as our exceptional studios, production facilities, talented and highly respected staff at the David Puttnam Media Centre, we also have extensive links with the industry.
ITN – which provides news for ITV and Channel 4 – is the University’s Broadcast News Partner which has opened up new opportunities for master classes, work placements and internships to students and staff. Newscaster Alastair Stewart is an Honorary Graduate and has hosted the student media awards ceremony at Sunderland.
The Managing Director of ITN, Robin Elias, is one of a number of media executives represented on the University’s Media Advisory Board. The BBC, ITV, Sky News, Northern Film and Media, Johnson Press, Bauer Radio, The Amazing Group and Dene Films are also members. The group advise on everything from changes in the industry through to the curriculum.
In talking about our BA (Hons) Broadcast Media Production, MA Media Production (Television and Video) and MA Radio (Production and Management courses being accredited by Creative Skillset, the sector skills council for the UK’s creative industries, Robin Elias, Managing Editor at ITV News, said: “We’re delighted with this new accreditation for the University of Sunderland.
“We’ve always been impressed by the university’s journalism courses and outstanding facilities. Its staff understands the demands of a fast-changing broadcast environment. It’s good to see that Skillset have also recognised those qualities.”
Alastair Stewart, ITV News at Ten presenter, added: “This is another fine feather in the University of Sunderland's hat. Our media studies students are among the brightest in the land. That our courses are recognised for their practical excellence, as much as their academic rigour, is great news for the students and for their potential employers.”
Doing work experience is a great way to gain knowledge and industry contacts, as well as gain a grasp of what the job actually entails. It can also help improve your employability. That is why the Faculty has a Media Work Placements website, helping students find all the information they need in order to go on a work placement.
Our media students can:
- Access masterclasses and media industry engagement from professionals like Jude Winstanley, Howard Ella, Carolyn Moat and Mark Murray.
- Raise their awareness of the media industry and attend media events such as SPOTY, BBC Jesting, CBBC Event and Premier Screening through a variety of media platforms.
- Get help with CV and covering letters
- Gain valuable placements and work experience
The media industry can:
- Come and see our students and facilities and find out what the University can offer through schemes such as: Sun Fm academy; SAFC working out of our studios; and Red and White Friday being filmed every week from our studios.