As you might expect from a university with such a good reputation in Sports Science, the sport facilities at the University of Sunderland are world-class.
In fact CitySpace, our £12m sports and recreation facility, was chosen as a Pre-Olympic Training Provider for the 2012 Olympic Games.
Institute of Sport
The University of Sunderland has a thriving sports community, with over 40 student-run sports clubs.
Coordinating the delivery of sport and recreation facilities is the University of Sunderland's Institute of Sport, a dedicated service committed to supporting all sports provision at Sunderland, from complete beginners to professional athletes.
Sport in the City of Sunderland
The University is fortunate to have use of some of the best facilities in the region. These include:
- The region's only 50m Olympic size swimming pool
- A climbing wall with some of the best route setters in the UK
- Football training pitches at Sunderland AFC’s Academy of Light
- A Marine Activities Centre for sailing, canoeing, kayaking and powerboating
- A 95m artificial ski slope
- An LTA indoor tennis centre with 13 indoor and outdoor courts
- Floodlit athletics tracks
For more information see the Sunderland City Council website.