National Scholarship Programme (part-time) 2013/14
Up to £3,000 tuition fee reduction
This scholarship reduces your first-year tuition fee by up to £3,000. The exact amount will depend on the number of modules you take.
This scholarship is for part-time students.
This scholarship is for people who are new to higher education. If you have any previous higher education qualification then you won't be eligible for this scholarship.
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- Be new to higher education
- Be from England (other UK regions are not eligible) or the European Union
- Have a household income of £25,000 or less
- Be planning to study a part-time course which is at least 25% of the full-time equivalent of the course
- Be planning to start the part-time course in Autumn 2013
Foundation degrees at partner colleges: Students applying for some Foundation degrees at partner colleges can also apply for this scholarship. Please see the full list of eligible partner college courses on the Part-time National Scholarship Programme Guidance Notes (.pdf) .
Who is not eligible?
The following applicants are not eligible for the National Scholarship Programme:
- Applicants from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Applicants for TDA funded programmes, such as Initial Teacher Training and PGCE programmes
- NHS-funded students
- Applicants for top-up courses
- Applicants for full-time courses
- Students directly continuing from one course to another (for example, from Foundation degree or HND on to the final year of a Bachelor's degree)
- Students transferring to Sunderland from another institution
- Applicants for postgraduate courses
- Any other students whose fees are paid or part-paid through a sponsorship arrangement
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the links below to see the answers to frequently asked questions about the National Scholarships Programme.
1. How much is this scholarship worth?
2. What happens if I change the number of modules I take during the year?
Any additional modules added during the year will not be included in the scholarship.
3. Is there a minimum number of Credits for this scholarship?
4. When will the scholarship be paid to me?
If you pay for your tuition with a loan from the Student Loans Company, we issue the tuition fee reduction directly to the Student Loans Company. This means that at the end of your course you will have a smaller loan to repay.
If you pay for your tuition yourself, you will receive a reimbursement for the relevant amount at the end of the academic year.
5. What counts as an 'English applicant'?
Only English applicants can apply for this scholarship. The criteria for being an English applicant includes:
- Declared nationality
- Country of birth
- Area of permanent residence
- Date of entry into the UK (If applicable)
- Location of previous education
If you're not sure about your eligibility, please contact the Scholarships team: email@example.com / 0191 515 2865.
6. Do I need to tell the Student Loans Company (SLC) if I receive a fee waiver?
These Frequently Asked Questions relate specifically to the National Scholarship Programme. For general questions and answers about any of our scholarships, please see the page Scholarships FAQs.
How to apply
The deadline to apply for this scholarship is 31 October 2013.
Apply for this scholarship online, via your password-protected VIP page.
You will need to complete an online application form, which includes a statement on how this scholarship would benefit you during your time at the University of Sunderland.
The deadline for this scholarship is 31 October 2013. You will be informed of the outcome in December 2013.
Please note: Successful scholarship applications will be subject to a household income assessment. The University reserve the right to withdraw a scholarship offer if a student does not meet the household income requirements of this scholarship.
For full details about our scholarships and eligibility criteria, please refer to our Part-time National Scholarship Programme Guidance Notes (.pdf) .
For further information or advice, please contact the Scholarships Team: firstname.lastname@example.org / 0191 515 2865.