Sunderland Care Leavers' Scholarship 2017/18
£1,500 cash scholarship in each year of your course (worth up to £6,000)
The Sunderland Care Leavers' Scholarship awards £1,500 cash for each year you progress on your course.
Over a three-year course this scholarship could be worth £4,500, and over a four-year course it could be worth £6,000. If you take a placement year, that will be eligible for the scholarship too.
The scholarship is paid every year in three instalments of £500.
To apply for this scholarship, you must be a full-time 'Home' undergraduate student.
You must also have at least one of the following:
- Have 'former relevant care leaver status' according to the Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000. This status applies to people under the age of 25 who were 'looked after' by the local authority for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14 and ending after the age of 16
- Have been privately fostered up to the age of 16
- Have been the subject of a 'special guardianship order' and were 'looked after' immediately prior to the making of the order
Students applying for some Foundation degrees at partner colleges can also apply for this scholarship. Please see the guidance notes below for more information.
This scholarship is guaranteed for all applicants who meet the criteria.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the links below to see the answers to frequently asked questions about the Care Leavers' Scholarship.
1. How do I apply?
2. When will I receive the scholarship?
3. How many scholarships are available?
How to apply
If you tick 'Yes' to being a Care Leaver on the UCAS application form you will automatically be sent a letter and an application form for this scholarship in the first few weeks of term.
If you choose not to disclose this information on the UCAS application form, please email the University of Sunderland’s Looked After Young People and Care Leavers Team to let us know that you are eligible: firstname.lastname@example.org
All correspondence with the Looked After Young People and Care Leavers team is confidential.
For full details about our scholarships and eligibility criteria, please refer to our 2017/18 Care Leavers' Scholarship guidance notes (.docx)
For further information or advice, please contact the Looked After Young People and Care Leavers Team: email@example.com / 0191 515 2801.