I have been involved in what is now referred to as digital marketing as a practitioner, consultant, writer, trainer and educator since 1996 and have also taught, advised organisations and written about the phenomenon commonly known as the Digital Transformation, a subject that transcends marketing into all aspects of business and management.
Teaching and supervision
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing Management
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing (Top-Up)
- MA Marketing
- MBA (Marketing)
- UGB265 Digital Marketing
- PGBM152 Digital Marketing
- UGB321 e-Marketing Strategy
- UGB372 Marketing in a Digital World
I also supervise students on PGBM16, the MBA dissertation project and act as personal tutor to Year 2 and 3 students.
Charlesworth, Alan (2015) An Introduction to Social Media Marketing. Routledge, Abingdon. ISBN 9780415856164
Charlesworth, Alan (2014) Digital Marketing: a Practical Approach. Routledge, Abingdon. ISBN 978041583483
Charlesworth, Alan (2009) Choosing the Right Domain Name. Lulu Publishing. ISBN 9781445205380
Charlesworth, Alan (2009) A Glossary of Internet Marketing Terms, Phrases & Concepts. Lulu Publishing. ISBN 9781445215846
Charlesworth, Alan (2009) The Digital Revolution. Dorling Kindersley. ISBN 9781405335478
Charlesworth, Alan (2009) Internet Marketing: A Practical Approach. Butterworth Heinemann. ISBN 0750686847
Charlesworth, Alan, Gay, Richard and Esen, Rita (2007) Online Marketing: a Customer-Led Approach. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0199265855
Charlesworth, Alan (2007) Key Concepts in e-Commerce. Palgrave Key Concepts . Palgrave. ISBN 9780230516717
Charlesworth, Alan Digital Marketing: A Practical Approach 3e. Routledge, Abingdon and New York. ISBN 978-1-138-03956-8
Charlesworth, Alan Social Media Marketing: Marketing Panacea or the Emperor’s New Digital Clothes? Business Expert Press, New York. ISBN 978-1-63157-764-2
- Digital Marketing: a Practical Approach (2018) is the 3rd edition of this book which is used as a teaching aid all around the world.
- Social Media Marketing: Marketing Panacea or the Emperor’s New Digital Clothes? (2018). This book has been included in the Harvard Business Publishing Education website, see the story on Passing the Harvard test.
I have written the following articles for the School of Business, Law and Tourism’s blog, including:
- Helping the buyer to buy - a move away from helping the seller to sell.
- The Cambridge Analytica/Facebook data thing; a simple-ish explanation
- Helping the buyer to buy - moving away from helping the seller to sell
- Making a (domain) name for yourself - your personal address on the web
- John Lewis Christmas ad ‘a stroke of advertising genius’… I beg to differ
There’s nothing new in digital marketing... faster, more efficient, perhaps more effective - but nothing new
- Footy data everywhere... but little hits the back of the net data can be helpful - but not where humans are part of the equation
- I’m not old… and I’ve got money in my pocket ... some young marketers are getting the more mature segment wrong.
- Wikipedia can help with research... but don’t bet your degree on it
- Wave goodbye to free delivery - it's not a viable business model
For more information, see ‘my background in all things digital’.