Head of Law, Principal Tutor and Team Leader
I progressed to become a partner in a firm in the Midlands where I worked as a General Practitioner and Litigator focusing on family and vulnerable client matters in particular.
Fast forward to today, I moved from Northumbria University where I was a Senior Lecturer and Solicitor Tutor, teaching on a range of academic and professional programmes including the LPC-Employment Law, Land and Wills and Probate and BPTC- ADR and Professional Ethics.
I hold a PGCE and I'm a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a member of the Society for Legal Scholars. My Doctorate was awarded by Newcastle University and focused on the Influence of Policy and Practice on Higher Education focusing on Clinical Legal Education.
Teaching and supervision
- I am currently Module Leader for:
- Business Law
- Legal Skills, Employability and Placements
- LPC Masters Dissertation
- I am interested in supervising students with interests in:
- Legal Education - teaching and learning, pedagogy
- Transnational Higher Education practices with focus on professional education - looking at the teaching of Ethics
- Technology and Digital transformation within the legal service sector
Research interests for potential research students
- Development within Higher Education - influence of policies and practices on critical concepts
- Professional Ethics and conduct, vulnerable clients with a focus on social justice and social welfare rights
- Diplomacy and impact of International Conventions
- Clinical legal education with specific interest in addressing the needs of vulnerable clients
- Wellbeing within Legal Education
- Access to Justice and the implications of legal education reform
- Digital technology and legal practice
- Diplomacy and international law
Gibby, Caroline and Ingleby, Ewan (2016) Law and ethics: problematising the role of the foundation degree and paralegal education in English post-compulsory education. Research in Post-Compulsory Education, 21 (1-2). pp. 151-162. ISSN 1359-6748
Gibby, Caroline and Broadbent, Graeme (2015) Sourcing accurate and individual careers advice – challenges for law students and advisers. The Law Teacher, 49 (3). pp. 398-406. ISSN 0306-9400
Gibby, Caroline (2018) Constructing the role of the law teacher in the changing context of higher education policy and practice. Doctoral thesis, NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY.
- Clinical Legal Education
- Wills, Probate and Succession
Outside university, I like to watch sports and Star Trek in all its guises. I enjoy walking and History - especially looking at texts on battle strategies. I enjoy travelling - often focused on Italy or France but have been known to venture to California too!