My doctoral research
looked at teachers' perceptions and pedagogical practices following the 2014 ICT to Computing change in the English National Curriculum. My MA dissertation
looked at multimodality, moving image and the the kineikonic mode in relation to video production at Key Stage 3.
In addition, I have been involved in projects actively researching video-enhanced lesson observation
for teacher education and CPD; the creative use of mobile technologies
for teacher education; self-organised learning
to support schools tackling early school leaving; and multimedia apps
for language learning. I have several writing projects underway.Publications
Conferences and presentations
11-13 September, Newcastle, UK.
- Hidson, E. (2018). Video-enhanced lesson observation: moving from performance management to continuous teacher development. BERA Conference 2018.
25-26 June 2018
- ESRC NINEDTP Doctoral Training Event: ‘Visually Mediated Research: Using Visual Methods in the Social Sciences’.
. Newcastle University. ‘Using Video’ workshop leader. Also ‘Quality in visual methods: ethics, validity and participation’ workshop co-presenter with Dr Jill Clark.
- ITTE 32nd Annual Conference, Winchester, 7-8 June 2018. Presentation: ‘Developing Computing pedagogy post-2014’. Also presented at ECR publication workshop. Invited panel member at ‘EdTech Policy and Practice’ debate session.
28 March 2018
- BERA event: Ethical issues associated with using visual methodologies: the case of digital video. Open University,
. Case study presentation.
21 June 2017
- ITTE 31st Annual Conference, Hull,
, Video Enhanced Observation workshop.
02 May 2017
- CRiLLS Research Showcase, Newcastle University,
. VEO workshop.
15 Sept 2016
- BERA Conference, Leeds University,
, ‘Critical conversations of how to research educational leadership: A workshop for early career researchers’, panel member presentation.
02 July 2016
- ITTE 30th Annual Conference, London,
, thesis presentation.
16 June 2016
- Computing at School North East conference, Newcastle University,
, co-delivered Computing Education research workshop.
28 April 2016
- Durham University Researchers’ Poster Competition, Durham,
, poster presentation.
26 April 2016
- BERA/BELMAS leadership event ‘How to research critical conversations in educational leadership?’ Newcastle University,
- Computing at School Research Group, London, 22 April 2016, presentation.