You could begin by asking yourself the following questions:
- What skills do I have, what skills do I enjoy using?
- What type of environment do I want to work in – office, lab, outdoors?
- What would I like to do in a job – help others, organise people, develop products?
- How important is location, working conditions, hours, pay?
- What else is important to me for my future career?
If you're struggling to answer some of these questions, trying the 16 Personalities Test could be a good starting point.
Online guidance tools
There are online tools to help you get started:
- Sunderland Futures On Demand: lots of great resources to help you decide what career could be right for you
- Prospects Planner Register: answer a few questions about what you want from a job, and your responses are compared with over 400 job profiles,
- AllAboutCareers Career Test: answer a short series of questions and receive suggested industry sectors you should explore in more detail.