Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Funding for armed forces personnel

If you currently serve (or have recently served) within the Armed Forces and wish to enhance your education, then the Ministry of Defence's ELCAS scheme can help cover your funding.

ELCAS is a scheme run by the Ministry of Defence to provide financial support to Armed Forces personnel (both serving and service leavers) to study a course at university. The University of Sunderland is a registered learning provider with the scheme, which means many of our courses are eligible for funding. A full list of eligible courses can be found on the ELCAS website.

How do I apply?

If you’re interested in applying for the ELCAS scheme, visit their website to find out if you match their criteria. You need to submit your application at least five weeks before the start of your course. Our Learning Provider’s Reference number is 1290 – you'll need to include this in your application to study with us.

If you have any further questions or would like some help with your application, our Student Finance Guidance team are on hand. Guidance is available by appointment, on a 'drop-in' basis and by phone and email.