This MA is offered by North East dance organisation, Dance City, in partnership with the University of Sunderland. The course is based at the Dance City Sunderland studios, with visits throughout the year to Dance City Newcastle studios and theatre.
The course lasts 38-weeks and is a practice-based qualification that offers new and recent dance graduates the opportunity to develop their dance practice and technique, learn and develop choreography, and perform in work by leading choreographers.
The course has a broad and current approach, which includes physical theatre and experimental forms, and is designed to produce strong, highly employable dancers who will be able to work in a range of settings.
The focus of this MA is for the dancing of the students to meet the public. The primary vehicle for this is 'The Collective', Dance City’s touring company. The Collective creates work that is physically captivating and relevant today, presented in theatres across the country as well as in offsite locations and through digital platforms. There are opportunities to engage with a range of partner venues and participants through the wraparound work of the company.
- Advanced technical training in ballet and a number of contemporary dance forms
- Complementary techniques – pilates, yoga, and visiting artists who provide up-to-date material including kuchipudi, voguing and contact improvisation
- Development and performance of three newly commissioned works each year
- Touring of created works
- Offsite/digital performance work, created with the company
- Development and realisation of a choreographed work, delivery of teaching sessions or a cross-arts project (film, installation etc).
- One-to-one tutoring with an experienced member of staff.