The SKE programmes have been developed for individuals applying for a postgraduate PGCE secondary education programme; specifically for applicants who have received a recommendation to complete a SKE as a condition of their offer. Applicants from any university or other ITT provider can enrol on a SKE programme with the University of Sunderland.
Our SKE programmes have been designed to be delivered as a 8-week (short) or 12-week (medium) refresher/booster programme in the subject in which you intend to study your PGCE.
Usually the SKE would be completed before you commence your PGCE, and in any event must be fully completed before qualified teacher status can be recommended and awarded. Your individual circumstances will be discussed and considered at your PGCE application stage.
Our SKE programmes are suited for applicants who may need more specific subject knowledge to begin their ITT if they have:
- a degree that’s related to the subject rather than an exact match for it
- studied the subject at A level, but not degree level
- an unrelated degree but relevant professional knowledge in the subject
- studied for a languages degree, but need a second language at an acceptable level for teaching in schools
- a degree in the subject but have not used their degree knowledge for many years
You will be allocated a subject tutor specific to your SKE programme who will support you through your course.
Choose from a range of subject areas available here at the University: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computing, Languages (French/Spanish).
More information about subject knowledge specialism courses can be found on the gov.uk website.