Associate Professor in Cultural Management
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, founder of the Faculty ‘Business Clinic’, chair of the University's Virtual Global Educational Forum and the Doctoral lead for the University’s ‘Research Fridays’ programme, and have rich experience of mapping skills requirements in emerging sectors. I have extensive links and networks as a result of sourcing and embedding external engagement opportunities across the curriculum, with an international portfolio of clients and contacts, such as the British Cabinet Office, Indian Government Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Dubai Police, and Canon International.
My research focuses on academic-industry collaboration, investigating the impact of knowledge exchange on practice and food safety cultural compliance. I am actively documenting my consultancy experience via international academic journals and have delivered lectures and seminars at universities and symposiums on a global scale. I have been appointed to the editorial board for the ‘International Journal of Academic Research in Management'. I am also a Doctoral External Examiner, academic reviewer of several international journals, and currently employed as ‘External Examiner’ for both Chester and Teesside University Doctoral programmes. In addition, I am also a Visiting Professor at Sias Academy for Open Innovation at Sias International University in China, Technological University of Panama, Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, India and Senior Research Fellow at the Cyprus Business School, Cyprus.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships - Speedings Limited (YouTube 4m46s)
Enterprise Activities within the University of Sunderland (YouTube 4m26s)
Project Change Maker - The Faculty of Business, Law and Tourism (YouTube 4m27s)
Accelerated Business Collaboration Project (YouTube 4m50s)
- Listen to my contribution on Sky News about the Energy Crisis and the Cultural Dynamics
- Derek Watson on Arise News Access to Quality Education
- Listen to my interview on Sleep Culture and Tips
- Derek Watson on Sky News (4m32s) The Great Debate: Do we have the leaders we deserve?
- See my contribution on Sky News The Great Debate: The Westminster Accounts
Teaching and supervision
I am currently postgraduate module leader for Innovation and Technology Transfer and both Director of Studies and co-supervisor on the University's Doctoral programmes, namely PhD and Professional Doctorate students.
Research interests for potential research students
Cultural management, innovation and technology transfer, quality assurance, academic-industry collaboration, investigating the impact of knowledge exchange on practice in both the classroom and the workplace.
Teaching, Research Awards, and Achievements
- 2023 Innovate UK Management Knowledge Transfer Partnership (MKTP) Funding
- 2023 Student Nominated Teaching Awards: Most Inspirational Member of University Staff
- 2020 University of Sunderland ‘The Annual Improvement Award’
- 2019 Formal Letter of Commendation, University of Mongolia
- 2018 C20 China Award for Research Contribution to
- 2018 Certificate of Recognition on Academic and Commercial Contribution in Food Management Compliance. At The Global Food Industry 3rd Global Food Security, Food Safety and Sustainability Conference, New York, USA.
- 2017 Certificate of Recognition on Academic and Commercial Contribution in Food Management Compliance. At The Global Food Industry, 7th European Food Safety and Standards Contribution, Athens, Greece.
- 2015 Nominated for the ‘Best Teacher Award’ University of Sunderland
- 2010 University of Sunderland Blue Print Nomination Award
- 2008-2012 UK Best Student Award National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) 5 consecutive years.
- 2005 Nominated Best Lecturer by Royal and Sun Alliance Foundation Degree
My research focuses on academic-industry collaboration, innovation and technology transfer, and food safety cultural compliance.
- Doctoral completions:
- 2023 University of Sunderland, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: Application & Development of the Theory of Liminoid Space to Support Understanding of Executive Education Learning & Support SME Growth.
- 2023 University of Sunderland, (DoS) DBA: Thesis: Leveraging Human Capital for Organisational Competitiveness: A Multi-Case Analysis of Successful Jamaican Companies.
- 2021 University of Sunderland, (DoS) DProf: Thesis: A Critical Review of the Role of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health in Supporting their Members’ Professional Development.
- 2021 University of Sunderland, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: A critical review of the Internationalisation of China's emerging food manufacturing markets. A case study of Inner Mongolian Dairy Manufacturers.
- 2021 Sunderland University, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: How Can the Private Nursing Homes in the United Kingdom Innovate their Healthcare Logistics Settings to Reduce Costs and Improve the Process Design and Performance’ Quality?
- 2020 University of Sunderland, (DoS) DProf: Thesis: A critical review of the strategic and operational challenges in service delivery of the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship by an alternative provider.
- 2020 University of Sunderland, (C.S.) PhD: Thesis: An exploration of the way in which the use of heuristics and cognitive biases affects entrepreneurial decision-making and venture success, and of the dissemination of the understanding of these issues in undergraduate, business education.
- 2019 University of Sunderland, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: Organisational Growth through Optimizing Operations and Process Improvement Strategies.
- 2019 University of Sunderland, (C.S.) DProf: Thesis: An exploration of the way in which the use of heuristics and cognitive biases affects entrepreneurial decision-making and venture success, and of the dissemination of the understanding of these issues in undergraduate, business education.
- 2018 University of Sunderland, (C.S.) PhD: Thesis: A framework for innovation via identification and development of a firm’s core competence – An empirical study with a special reference to a sample of firms located in North East England.
- 2017 University of Sunderland, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: A Comparative Evaluation of Human Resource Development (HRD) Processes and Practices in UK and Nigerian Retail Supermarkets.
- 2017 University of Sunderland, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: A Study of Competency as a Driver for Business Performance in Nigeria.
- 2016 University of Sunderland, (C.S.) DProf: Thesis: The Digital NGO: An Investigation into how the Digital and Creative Industries can work with the Digital and Humanitarian Sector whilst Maintaining both Commercial and Ethical Viability.
Research degree examination appointments:
- 2023 University of Lahore PhD Thesis: 'An Innovative Prospect for Governing Compliance in Banking Performance: Leading with Risk Management Practices Regarding Islamic Financial Institutions of Pakistan'.
- 2023 University of Liverpool PhD Thesis: ‘An exploratory study into the role of empowerment through relational leadership’.
- 2023University of Teesside DBA Thesis: ‘Assessing the Impact of Conflicting Talent Philosophies within the Organisation: An Investigation into Talent Development within Tees, Esk and Wear Valley NHS Foundation Trust’.
- 2023 University of Boldon PhD: Thesis: ‘An evaluation of work-life balance practices from employers and employee’s perspective in the banking sector in UAE’.
- 2023 University of Lahore PhD Thesis: Organisational Situations as Blessing for Nexus between Empowering Leadership and Intrapreneurial Behaviour: Assessing Engineers in Pakistan's Automotive Corporations using Situation Strength Theory.
- 2022 Middlesex University DProf: Thesis:‘Examining the Impact of the Leadership Culture on the Organisational Strategic Decision-Making Process’.
- 2022 University of Liverpool DBA: Thesis: ‘Examining the Impact of the Leadership Culture on the Organisational Strategic Decision-Making Process’.
- 2021 University of Teesside PhD: Thesis: ‘To investigate how talent development strategies influence organisational performance of companies in the Libyan oil sector within the perspective of the RBV theory’.
- 2021 Middlesex University DProf: Thesis: ‘The Development of an Automated Decision-Making Framework Through the Utilisation of the Latest ERP Technologies for Organisational Change’.
- 2020 University of Teesside PhD: Thesis: Comparative Analysis into the Impact of Ethical and Philanthropic CSR on Consumer Purchasing Intentions: Case of Retail Supermarkets in India and the UK.
- 2020 University of Mauritius MPhil Transfer: ‘Evaluation, development and implementation of food safety management culture and climate in small food Mauritius and Rodrigues’.
- 2020 University of Liverpool DBA: Thesis: ‘Examining the Impact of the Leadership Culture on the Organisational Strategic Decision-Making Process’.
- 2019 Teesside University DBA: Thesis: ‘Investigating the impact of Tamkeen’s HR initiatives for the skills shortage on the private sector in the kingdom of Bahrain’.
- 2019 University of Lahore PhD: Thesis: ‘Exploring Value Co-creation at Micro Level in Maternal Healthcare Setting: A Case of Tertiary Hospitals, Lahore, Pakistan’.
- 2019 Teesside University PhD: Thesis: ‘Factors Affecting E-commerce Adoption Among SMEs. A Case Study Investigation of a Developing Economy – Pakistan’.
- 2019 Northumbria University PhD: Thesis: ‘An exploratory study of the application of mindsight in virtual communication: The case of email’.
- 2018 University of Teesside DBA: Thesis: ‘A Phenomenological Investigation of Learning Practices and Organisational Learning’.
- 2018 University of Liverpool DBA: Thesis: ‘A formative research study to test the plausibility of implementing project-based learning pedagogy into a post-secondary business program’.
- 2016 Middlesex University DProf: Thesis: ‘An Investigation into the Challenges Associated with Vendor Performance and the Commissioning of Professional Development’.
- 2016 Middlesex University DProf (Public Works): Thesis: ‘From the Intransitive to the Transitive – Emerging the Australian tax profession as a profession in its own right’.
- 2015 Middlesex University DProf: Thesis: ‘Corporate Governance in Public Hospitals in Greece with a view to strengthening the competencies of boards with a focus on cultural issues’.
Current Doctoral Supervision:
- 2023: DProf (DoS) Research Question: 'How are the dynamics of ‘support’ between coach and client maintained throughout a workplace coaching intervention.'
- 2022: PhD Via Publications: (DoS) Research Question: 'Application of the Theory of Liminoid Space to Executive Education Learning in the Higher Education Sector'.
- 2021: DProf: (DoS) Research Question: 'Corporate Governance, Culture, Quality and Safety: Exploring the perspectives andon: 'Public voices in the regulatory boardroom; explorations of the Irish nursing and midwifery lay majority regulatory board'.
- 2021: DProf: (DoS) Research Question: 'Leveraging Human Capital for Organizational Competitiveness: Building Organizational Intelligence to improve value and enhance Competitive Performance, the Jamaican Context'.
- 2021: PhD: (DoS) Research Question: 'Exploring the connection between business planning, owner-managers and training with SME performance (survival or growth)'.
- 2017: PhD: (DoS) Research Question: ‘An Examination of Food Safety Cultural Compliance within the Greek Food Manufactures’.
External validation appointments:
- University of Northampton, Periodic Subject Review Level 8 (2022)
- WSB University in Gdansk, Poland Approval with University of Northampton (2020)
- University of Northampton: Executive MBA (2020)
- University of Northampton: Diploma in L&D Practice Higher Apprenticeship (2020)
- University of Bradford: Executive DBA Expert Review (2019)
- Buckinghamshire University: MBA (2017)
- De Montfort University: BAPAM (2017)
- Glyndwr University: Online MBA Marketing and HRM (2019)
- Hong Kong Institute of Technology: MBA (2018)
- Lancaster University: BA Apprenticeship (2017)
- Leeds Trinity University: MBA/MSc/MA (2019)
- Manchester Metropolitan University: MBA/MSc/HSE (2018)
- Ulster University: BSc Food Business Management (2019)
- University of Hull: MSc HRM (2017)
- University of Teesside: MSc (2018)
Keynote/Professional speaker forum:
- Berlin Food Strategy Institute ‘Food Safety Culture’ (2021)
- UK Cambridge University ‘Effective Problem Solving’ (2021)
- Singapore University ‘Covid-19 a Gateway to Enhance China’s Food Safety Culture’ (2020)
- Singapore MDIS ‘e-Open House The Virtual Wonder’ (2020)
- London Lloyds Banking Group London Changing Landscapes in HE (2020)
- Brunei British Business Network Forum, ‘Food Safety Culture’ (2019)
- Malaysia SEGi University ‘Food Cultural and Change Management’ (2019)
- Panama Technological University ‘Food Safety Cultural Compliance’ (2018)
- Inner Mongolia University ‘Food Safety Cultural Compliance’ (2018)
- Greece New York College ‘Innovation and Food Culture’ (2018)
- Belgrade New York College ‘The Business Clinic’ (2015)
- 1st Dedicated Northeast of England Small Business Conference, (ESF Funded) Lead Organiser (2023)
- Singapore International Conference on Food Science and Nutrition (SICFN-2020) Organising Committee Member (2021)
- International Conference on Food Safety Conference, UK Lead Organiser (2019)
- 9th International Conference on Management Research (ICMR), Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan Organising Committee Member (2018)
Paracha, Samiullah, Hall, Lynne, Watson, Derek, Khuram, Ayesha and Shah, Naqeeb (2023) Shimpai Muyou: Confronting Child Suicides in Japan through a Serious Game & School-Based Intervention. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction (100612). ISSN 2212-8689
Lichy, Jessica and Watson, Derek (2023) Managing Uncertainty in Food Supply Chains – The Case of British Food Manufacturing. Question(s) de management. Éditeur : EMS Editions, 4 (45). pp. 181-195. ISSN 2262-7030
Nobari, Julia, Davison, John and Watson, Derek (2023) The “McKie MasteryTM Change Management Model”: a lifeline or a cumbersome weight in aiding UK schools improving standards? Question(s) de management, 3 (44). pp. 167-182. ISSN 2262 - 7030
Watson, Derek, Yuan, Zhai and Jessica, Lichy (2023) A Perfect Storm, Brexit, COVID-19 and Increased Cases of Food Contamination. A Case Study of how British Food Manufactures Foster Safe Food cultures. The Market: International Journal of Business, 5 (24). (In Press)
Fulton, John, Hall, Lynne, Watson, Derek and Hagan-Green, Gillian (2022) THE OPEN CAGE: A FORCE FOR TRANSFORMATIVE LEARNING IN PROFESSIONAL DOCTORAL STUDIES DURING COVID-19. International Journal of Doctoral Studies (IJDS), 17. pp. 243-261. ISSN 1556-8873
Murphy, Denis and Watson, Derek (2022) Governance, Board Membership Identity and Socialised Induction: A narrative on enabling an effective boardroom experience. The Market International Journal of Business, 3 (3). pp. 4-15. ISSN 2547-9202
Green-McLennon, Garcia and Watson, Derek (2022) Understanding the Dimensions Human Capital – Organizational Implications and Application. The Market: International Journal of Business, 3 (49). pp. 50-60. ISSN 2547-9202
Watson, Derek, Nyarugwe, Shingai P., Hogg, Robert, Griffith, Chris, Luning, Pieternel A. and Pandi, Sophia (2022) The exotropia food safety cultural conundrum: A case study of a UK fish high-risk processing company. Food Control, 131 (108431). p. 108431. ISSN 0956-7135
Yin Yin, Khoo, Watson, Derek and Yusof, Rohaila (2021) The Efficacy of Promoting Financial Literacy with MOOC among Economics Pre-Service Teachers. International Journal of Learning, Teaching and Educational Research, 20 (8). pp. 18-35. ISSN 1694-2116
Murphy, Denis, Gilligan, Kim and Watson, Derek (2021) From the community handywomen to frontline heroes: Charting a century of Irish nursing and midwifery regulation. Journal of the Institute of Public Administration of Ireland, 69 (3). pp. 19-43. ISSN 2449-9471
Hall, Lynne, Paracha, Samiullah, Flint, Tom, MacFarlane, Kate, Stewart, Fiona, Hagan-Green, Gillian and Watson, Derek (2021) Still looking for new ways to play and learn… Expert perspectives and expectations for interactive toys. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. p. 100361. ISSN 2212-8689
Zhai, Yuan and Watson, Derek (2021) Covid-19 a Gateway to Enhance China’s Food Safety Culture. ACTA SCIENTIFIC MICROBIOLOGY, 4 (2). pp. 19-28. ISSN 2581-3226
Doyle, Cathy, Murphy, Denis and Watson, Derek (2021) Corporate governance an organisational attribute or an academic exercise. The Market: International Journal of Business, 2 (2). pp. 3-12. ISSN 2547-9202
Zhai, Yuan and Watson, Derek (2021) Internationalisation of Food Manufacturing Industry of Chinese Emerging Food Markets, A case study of Dairy Producers. The Market: International Journal of Business. ISSN 2547-9202
Nyarugwe, Shingai P, Linnemann, Anita R, Ren, Yingxue, Bakker, Evert-Jan, Kussaga, Jamal B, Watson, Derek, Fogliano, Vincenzo and Luning, Pieternel A (2020) An intercontinental analysis of food safety culture in view of food safety governance and national values. Food Control, 111. ISSN 0956-7135
Odigiri, Maxwell, Watson, Derek, Hayes, Catherine and Tekelas, Fanos (2020) Factors Affecting Academic Job Performance in Nigerian Universities; A Case Study of Delta State University & Igbinedion University Okada. The Market: International Journal of Business, 1 (1). pp. 42-56. ISSN 2547-9202
Adefe, Kalama, Watson, Derek and Liddle, Joyce (2019) Do Competency Frameworks Influence Business Performance? An Empirical Study of the Nigerian Banking Sector. International Journal of HRD Practice, Policy and Research, 4 (1). ISSN 2397-4583
Watson, Derek and Barkas, Linda Anne (2018) Building a Business Clinic in Higher Education: Opportunities and Challenges for students’ skills development. Journal of International Business Education, 13. pp. 237-248. ISSN 1649-4946
Pandi, Sophia and Watson, Derek (2018) Transformational Change and the Implications of Food Safety: A Case Study of a Greek Chocolate Manufacturer. Acta Scientific Nutritional Health, 2 (7). pp. 16-24.
Watson, Derek, Yap, S, Pandi, S, Husband, J and Tekelas, F (2018) Brexit and the Implications of Food Safety Cultural Compliance in the Food Manufacturing Sector. Acta Scientific Microbiology, 1 (4). ISSN 2581-3226
Watson, Derek, Husband, John, Yap, Stanley, Hetherington, Karen and Pandi, Sophia (2018) A Dog’s Brexit for UK Food Manufactures, in terms of Food Safety Culture. Journal of Applied Microbiological Research, 1 (1). pp. 27-34.
Watson, Derek, Hall, Lynne and Tazzyman, Sarah (2016) Trick or Treat: Academic Buy-in to Third Stream Activities. Industry and Higher Education, 30 (2). pp. 155-167. ISSN 0950-4222
Watson, Derek and Hall, Lynne (2015) Addressing the Elephant in the Room: Are Universities Committed to the Third Stream Agenda. International Journal of Academic Research in Management, 4 (2). pp. 48-76. ISSN 2296-1747
Kude, O and Watson, Derek (2012) An Empirical Study on Corporate Social Responsibility in the Banking Sector. SEGi Review, 5. pp. 47-54. ISSN 1985-5672
Watson, Derek (2007) The expatriation and Repatriation Transitions:How does the Public Sector fare? Singapore Journal for Engineering Technologists. pp. 1793-5059.
Watson, Derek and Andrews, Mitchell (2010) ISO 19011. In: Green Business An A-to-Z Guide. The SAGE Reference Series on Green Society (9). SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, California/ London. ISBN 9781412996846
Reports, briefing/ working papers
Fernandes, Professor Kiran, Goumagias, Nikolaos, Shukla, Manish, Oxley, Greg, Purvis, Kieran, Cabras, Ignazio, Xiong, Yu, Seddighi, Hamid, Watson, Derek, Coleman, Peter, Mathew, Sony, Issac, Biju and Jacob, Seibu Mary (2018) Developing an innovation ecosystem: Policy, skills and operations. Project Report. Report by the North East Innovation Observatory for the North East Local Enterprise Partnership.
Conference or Workshop Item
Watson, Derek, Zhai, Yuan and Zhu, Xiaoxian (2023) China-EU trade relations: The impact of European anti-dumping investigations on Chinese Enterprises. In: 6th Annual Academic Conference: Towards Disruptive Sustainability: New Business Opportunities and Challenges, 16 Sep 2023, Cyprus Business School, Cyprus Centre for Business Research, Nicosia, Cyprus. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2023) Beyond Borders: Navigating Affordable International Education for Tomorrow's Leaders. In: Beyond Borders: Navigating Affordable International Education for Tomorrow's Leaders. Global Education Conference, LABS, Lagos, Nigeria, 22-23 Aug 2023, LABS Lagos Nigeria. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2023) The Art of innovation. In: University of Technology Mara, Faculty of Business Symposium, Centre for Innovation Delivery Education & Learning Sarawak, Malaysia., April 18th, University of Technology Mara, Faculty of Business, Centre for Innovation Delivery Education & Learning Sarawak, Malaysia..
Watson, Derek (2022) The Research Conundrum In Thesis Completions & Journal Publications. In: PACU Conference Faculty of Educational Studies, 14/11/2022, University of Putra Malaysia. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek, Yuan, Zhai and Jessica, Lichy (2022) Perfect Storm, Brexit, COVID-19 and Increased Cases of Food Contamination. A Case Study of How British Food Manufactures Foster A Food Safe Culture. In: Cyprus Centre for Business Research, September 17th 2022, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Watson, Derek (2021) Food Safety Cultural Conundrum in the 21st Century. In: University of the Commonwealth Caribbean’s 5th Academic Research Conference 2021, 30 Sep 2021, Jamaica. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2021) A Perfect Storm, Brexit, COVID-19 and Increased Cases of Food Contamination. A Case Study of How British Food Manufacturers Foster Food Safety Cultures. In: Business for Sustainability of the International Conference on Celebrating the 100 Years of the University of Dhaka, 25 Apr 2021, Dhaka, Pakistan. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek and Zhai, Yuan (2020) China’s Food Safety Culture & Its Impact On China’s Once Belt One Road Strategy. In: Online Summit on Food Science and Nutrition SICFN- 2020, 30 Oct 2020, Singapore. (Submitted)
Pandi, Sophia and Watson, Derek (2019) Measuring and Enhancing the Food Safety Culture in Five all Inclusive Hotels in Greece. In: 13th Annual International Conference on Global Studies: Business, Economics, Political, Social and Cultural Aspects, December 17th 2019, Athens Greece.
Watson, Derek (2019) ‘How to get Food Safety Culture back into the Boardroom’. 1st International Food Safety Culture Conference. In: International Food Safety Culture Conference, September 5th 2019, Sunderland, UK.
Pandi, Sophia and Watson, Derek (2019) How hotel industry food safety culture can be assessed and developed? The managers perspectives. In: Cyprus Business School CIM Conference, April 2019, CIM Limassol Campus. Larnaca, Cyprus. (Unpublished)
Nweke, Emeke and Watson, Derek (2019) A strategic approach to enhancing SMEs in the fast-food restaurant sector within the Nigerian economy. In: Cyprus Centre for Business Research, Aril 11th 2019, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Watson, Derek (2018) Culture and its Implications in the Food Manufacturing Sector. In: Holchem UK Food Manufacturers Conference, 2018, Manchester, UK. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2018) How to leave a research footprint in the changing sands of academia: The Panamanian Suvlas Experience. In: University of Sunderland, FBLT Research Conference, Sunderland, UK, June 2018, Sunderland UK.
Odigiri, M, Watson, Derek and Tekelas, F (2018) Factors Affecting Academic Job Performance in Nigerian Universities. In: Keeping Ahead of Change: Anticipating and Managing Change. Inaugural Conference of the Cyprus Centre for Business Research, 30 Mar 2018, Cyprus Institute of Marketing, Nicosia Campus. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2018) Alive and Kicking: Brexit and The Art of Managing Change, LEAP. In: LEAP Summit, 15-17 Mar 2018, Zagreb, Croatia. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek, Yap, S, Pandi, S, Husband, J and Tekelas, F (2017) BREXIT and the Implications of Food Safety Cultural Compliance in the Food Manufacturing Sector. In: 7th European Food Safety & Standards Conference, 13-14 Nov 2017, Athens, Greece. (Unpublished)
Cooper, Sharp, Watson, Derek and Worrall, Rob (2016) Managing Supply Chain Networks: A Framework for Achieving Superior Performance through Leadership Capabilities Development in Supply Chain Node. In: PMA International Conference 2016 - Performance Measurement and Management: New Theories for New Practices, 26 - 29 Jun 2016, Edinburgh, Scotland. UK.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li-Hua, Richard (2014) Assessing the Effectiveness of Third Stream Activities in Global Higher Education: Case study of 5 Universities in the North East of England. In: 5th CAMOT International Conference Tsinghua.
Watson, Derek and Hall, L (2014) Closed for Business! Academic Engagement in Third Stream Activity conference paper. In: SRHE Annual Research Conference, Wales UK, 2014.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li-Hua, Richard (2013) Strategic Aspects of Third Stream Activities in Global Higher Education:Case Study of 5 Universities in the North East of England. In: 3rd International Conference of Tourism and Hospitality Management, In Tourism Issues Tourism Sciences Review 16, pages 205 - 212., 27 - 29 June 2013, Athens.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Tazzyman, Sarah (2012) Prioritising Third Stream Activity: the gap between University intentions and academic perceptions. In: SRHE Annual Research Conference, 2012, Newport, Wales.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li - Hua, L (2012) Prioritising Third Stream Activity: the gap between University intentions and academic perceptions conference paper. In: SRHE Conference, 2012, Wales.
Watson, Derek The Business Clinic, how to embed teaching, research and external engagement. In: University of Sunderland Teaching and Learning Conference, 2013, Sunderland, England.
Mapletoft, Nicholas (2020) A critical review of the strategic and operational challenges in service delivery of the chartered manager degree apprenticeship by an alternative provider. Doctoral thesis, University of Sunderland.
- Food Safety Cultural Compliance
- Innovation and technology transfer
- Total quality management
- Transformational change
- Changing mindsets
- NEBOSH Occupational Safety & Health Dip I & II (A07205 & B02664)
- BSi International Lead Auditor IS0 9001:2000 - Cert No: 100870/56443
- BSi International Lead Auditor ISO 14001:2004 - Cert No: 109221/76476
- BSi Auditing to ISO 9000 - Cert No: 101304
- Senior Fellow of Advance Higher Education
- International Association for Food Protection (IAFP)
- BSi National Committee AW/90 Quality Systems for the Food Industry
- Salus Food Safety Culture Science Group: Research - Consultant member
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- International Register of Certified Auditors (IRCA)
- National Vocational Training Assessor
- Institute of Occupational Health & Safety Graduate Member No: 105498
- North East Regional Quality Planning Group (Cabinet Office, Central Government. Invited to advise on the prioritisation of regional quality initiatives)
- Honorary Member of the Inner Mongolian Food Federation
I am also a practising consultant in Management of Change, Total Quality Management (ISO 9001, 14001, 18001) Food Safety Culture Compliance and NEBOSH qualified in International Health Safety and Environment.In the press:
- NUC Okays London Business School, Sunderland Varsity To Operate In Nigeria
- First Briton to dive to Titanic warns 'time is running out' for missing vessel
- Global Forum: “Distance not Distant”
- Connecting with the Commercial Sector
- One of Wearside’s oldest manufacturers is sailing towards success as a global leader
- A Career In Reinvention
- Where Are You Now?
- Newcastle property specialist reports record turnover alongside recruitment drive
- Get Ahead 2022: University of Sunderland in Nigeria
- Inspirational Captain shares career experiences at University of Sunderland Women in Leadership event, Business News North East
- Women come together in leadership and enterprise
- The Silver Fund: a key catalyst to success
- How Can We Change Our Shopping Behaviours for the Sake of Our Planet?
- University of Sunderland consumer expert offers advice on how to reduce our festive food waste
- Government gamble on working from home risks creating a two-tier Britain, The Telegraph
- University of Sunderland to unlock economic growth with six-figure research funding
- Coronavirus and Banknotes: Low Risk of Contamination Says Experts
- Vogue’s Guide To Cleaning Your Jewellery During The Coronavirus Crisis, Vogue
- Comment bien nettoyer ses bijoux à la maison pendant le confinement? Vogue Paris
- A hygiene expert reveals the ‘three tissue rule’ that will help win the battle against Coronavirus, Sunderland Echo
- Listeria or Hysteria? Why Brits Fear American Chlorinated Chicken Imports
- Brexit could be bad news for British food safety, experts warn, New Food Magazine
- BRC Issue 8 seeks to encourage a new culture of food safety, The Grocer
- Deal or No Deal, British food and drink manufacturers will suffer
- Class of 2018: Brewing up a great career
- Sunderland academic showcases safety model for China’s biggest food producers
- Sunderland University: Creative Fuse, Innovation Pilot
- Sunderland University: Creative Fuse, Placements
- LCB holds food safety seminar
- ‘Three tissue rule’ that will help win the battle against Coronavirus
- The Great Debate: Westminster Accounts
- Creative Fuse Placements at the University of Sunderland
- Keynote Speech Preview: Food Science and Nutrition, STEM Conference 2020
- The 'Enlighten Model' Food Safety Culture
- How To Write A Dissertation at Undergraduate or Master's Level
- How To Survive Your Doctoral Journey
- Covid-19 and the Government's furlough scheme
- Cyprus Broadcasting Company on Food Safety