Associate Professor in Cultural Management
My research focuses on academic-industry collaboration, investigating the impact of knowledge exchange on practice and food safety cultural compliance. I am actively documenting my consultancy experience via international academic journals and have delivered lectures and seminars at universities and symposiums on a global scale. I have been appointed on the editorial board for the ‘International Journal of Academic Research in Management’. I am also a Doctoral External Examiner, academic reviewer of several international journals and currently employed as ‘External Examiner’ for both Chester and Staffordshire University Doctoral programmes. In addition, I am also a Visiting Professor at Sias Academy for Open Innovation at Sias International University in China, the Technological University of Panama and Senior Research Fellow at the Cyprus Business School, Cyprus.
Teaching and supervision
I am currently postgraduate Module Leader for Innovation and Technology Transfer and both Director of Studies and co-supervisor on the University's Doctoral programmes, namely PhD and Professional Doctorate Students.
Research interests for potential research students
Cultural management, innovation and technology transfer, quality assurance, academic-industry collaboration, investigating the impact of knowledge exchange on practice in both the classroom and the workplace.
Doctoral Successful Completions
- 2019 Sunderland University, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: Organisational Growth through Optimizing Operations and Process Improvement Strategies.
- 2019 Sunderland University, (C.S.) DProf: Thesis An exploration of the way in which the use of heuristics and cognitive biases affects entrepreneurial decision-making and venture success, and of the dissemination of the understanding of these issues in undergraduate, business education.
- 2018 Sunderland University, (C.S.) PhD: Thesis: ‘A framework for innovation via identification and development of a firm’s core competence – An empirical study with a special reference to a sample of firms located in North East England’.
- 2017 Sunderland University, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: ‘A Comparative Evaluation of Human Resource Development (HRD) Processes and Practices in UK and Nigerian Retail Supermarkets’.
- 2017 Sunderland University, (DoS) PhD: Thesis: ‘A Study of Competency as a Driver for Business Performance in Nigeria’.
- 2016 Sunderland University, (C.S.) DProf: Thesis: ‘The Digital NGO: An Investigation into how the Digital and Creative Industries can work with the Digital and Humanitarian Sector whilst Maintaining both Commercial and Ethical Viability’.
Current Doctoral Supervisions
- 2018: DProf: (DoS) Research Question: ‘Outline the factors which prevent Graduate members obtaining chartered membership of IOSH and provide guidance and support to enable them to gain their chartership’.
- 2018: PhD (By Publications): (C.S.) Research Question: ‘Business Strategies for Management, Sustainability, and Quality in Organizational Settings’.
- 2017: PhD: (DoS) Research Question: ‘An Exploration and Evaluation of the Internationalization Strategies Adoption by Indian Multinational Corporations Operating in the Global Pharmaceutical Industry’.
- 2017: PhD: (DoS) Research Question: ‘An Examination of Food Safety Cultural Compliance within the Greek Food Manufactures’.
Nyarugwe, Shingai P, Linnemann, Anita R, Ren, Yingxue, Bakker, Evert-Jan, Kussaga, Jamal B, Watson, Derek, Fogliano, Vincenzo and Luning, Pieternel A (2020) An intercontinental analysis of food safety culture in view of food safety governance and national values. Food Control, 111. ISSN 0956-7135
Odigiri, Maxwell, Watson, Derek, Hayes, Catherine and Tekelas, Fanos (2020) Factors Affecting Academic Job Performance in Nigerian Universities; A Case Study of Delta State University & Igbinedion University Okada. The Market: International Journal of Business, 1 (1). pp. 42-56. ISSN 2547-9202
Adefe, Kalama, Watson, Derek and Liddle, Joyce (2019) Do Competency Frameworks Influence Business Performance? An Empirical Study of the Nigerian Banking Sector. International Journal of HRD Practice, Policy and Research, 4 (1). ISSN 2397-4583
Watson, Derek and Barkas, Linda Anne (2018) Building a Business Clinic in Higher Education: Opportunities and Challenges for students’ skills development. Journal of International Business Education, 13. pp. 237-248. ISSN 1649-4946
Pandi, Sophia and Watson, Derek (2018) Transformational Change and the Implications of Food Safety: A Case Study of a Greek Chocolate Manufacturer. Acta Scientific Nutritional Health, 2 (7). pp. 16-24.
Watson, Derek, Yap, S, Pandi, S, Husband, J and Tekelas, F (2018) Brexit and the Implications of Food Safety Cultural Compliance in the Food Manufacturing Sector. Acta Scientific Microbiology, 1 (4). ISSN 2581-3226
Watson, Derek, Husband, John, Yap, Stanley, Hetherington, Karen and Pandi, Sophia (2018) A Dog’s Brexit for UK Food Manufactures, in terms of Food Safety Culture. Journal of Applied Microbiological Research, 1 (1). pp. 27-34.
Watson, Derek and Barkas, Linda Anne (2017) Last Man Standing: An Academic's Endeavours to Integrate Third Stream Activities Within Higher Education. International Business Education. ISSN 0969-5931 (Submitted)
Watson, Derek, Hall, Lynne and Tazzyman, Sarah (2016) Trick or Treat: Academic Buy-in to Third Stream Activities. Industry and Higher Education, 30 (2). pp. 155-167. ISSN 0950-4222
Watson, Derek and Hall, Lynne (2015) Addressing the Elephant in the Room: Are Universities Committed to the Third Stream Agenda. International Journal of Academic Research in Management, 4 (2). pp. 48-76. ISSN 2296-1747
Watson, Derek (2013) Externally Engage or Internally Wither... Academic Engagement in Third Stream Activities: the Discrepancy Between Management Perceptions and Academic Realities. Industry and Higher Education. ISSN 0950-4222 (In Press)
Kude, O and Watson, Derek (2012) An Empirical Study on Corporate Social Responsibility in the Banking Sector. SEGi Review, 5. pp. 47-54. ISSN 1985-5672
Watson, Derek (2011) Certification. Green Issues and Debates, 5.
Andrews, Mitchell and Watson, Derek (2009) Carbon Sequestration. Green Business (9).
Watson, Derek (2007) The expatriation and Repatriation Transitions:How does the Public Sector fare? Singapore Journal for Engineering Technologists. pp. 1793-5059.
Watson, Derek (2011) Occupational Safety and Health Administration. In: Green Technology An A-to-Z Guide. The SAGE Reference Series on Green Society (5). SAGE Publications. ISBN 9781412996921
Watson, Derek and Andrews, Mitchell (2010) ISO 19011. In: Green Business An A-to-Z Guide. The SAGE Reference Series on Green Society (9). SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, California/ London. ISBN 9781412996846
Watson, Derek and Andrews, Mitchell (2009) Environmental Standards. In: Encyclopedia of Business in Today's World. SAGE Publications. ISBN 9781412964272
Watson, Derek and Andrews, Mitchell (2009) Certification Process. In: Green Consumerism An A-to-Z Guide. The SAGE Reference Series on Green Society (6). SAGE Publications. ISBN 9781412996853
Conference or Workshop Item
Pandi, Sophia and Watson, Derek (2019) Measuring and Enhancing the Food Safety Culture in Five all Inclusive Hotels in Greece. In: 13th Annual International Conference on Global Studies: Business, Economics, Political, Social and Cultural Aspects, December 17th 2019, Athens Greece.
Watson, Derek (2019) ‘How to get Food Safety Culture back into the Boardroom’. 1st International Food Safety Culture Conference. In: International Food Safety Culture Conference, September 5th 2019, Sunderland, UK.
Pandi, Sophia and Watson, Derek (2019) How hotel industry food safety culture can be assessed and developed? The managers perspectives. In: 2nd Annual Conference of the Cyprus Centre for Business Research, April 2019, CIM Limassol Campus. Larnaca, Cyprus. (Unpublished)
Nweke, Emeke and Watson, Derek (2019) A strategic approach to enhancing SMEs in the fast-food restaurant sector within the Nigerian economy. In: Cyprus Centre for Business Research, Aril 11th 2019, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Watson, Derek (2018) How to leave a research footprint in the changing sands of academia: The Panamanian Suvlas Experience. In: University of Sunderland, FBLT Research Conference, Sunderland, UK, June 2018, Sunderland UK.
Odigiri, M, Watson, Derek and Tekelas, F (2018) Factors Affecting Academic Job Performance in Nigerian Universities. In: Keeping Ahead of Change: Anticipating and Managing Change. Inaugural Conference of the Cyprus Centre for Business Research, 30 Mar 2018, Cyprus Institute of Marketing, Nicosia Campus. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2018) Alive and Kicking: Brexit and The Art of Managing Change, LEAP. In: LEAP Summit, 15-17 Mar 2018, Zagreb, Croatia. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek (2018) Culture and its Implications in the Food Manufacturing Sector. In: Holchem UK Food Manufacturers Conference, 2018, Manchester, UK. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek, Yap, S, Pandi, S, Husband, J and Tekelas, F (2017) BREXIT and the Implications of Food Safety Cultural Compliance in the Food Manufacturing Sector. In: 7th European Food Safety & Standards Conference, 13-14 Nov 2017, Athens, Greece. (Unpublished)
Cooper, Sharp, Watson, Derek and Worrall, Rob (2016) Managing Supply Chain Networks: A Framework for Achieving Superior Performance through Leadership Capabilities Development in Supply Chain Node. In: PMA International Conference 2016 - Performance Measurement and Management: New Theories for New Practices, 26 - 29 Jun 2016, Edinburgh, Scotland. UK.
Watson, Derek (2015) Third Stream Activities Within Higher Education. In: Intellectbase International consortium Academic Conference, Dec 2015, Las Vegas, NV, USA. (Unpublished)
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li-Hua, Richard (2014) Assessing the Effectiveness of Third Stream Activities in Global Higher Education: Case study of 5 Universities in the North East of England. In: 5th CAMOT International Conference Tsinghua.
Watson, Derek and Hall, L (2014) Closed for Business! Academic Engagement in Third Stream Activity conference paper. In: SRHE Annual Research Conference, Wales UK, 2014.
Watson, Derek (2014) Higher Education and Business Working Together. In: North East Quality Network Forum., 2014, Newcastle,England..
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li-Hua, Richard (2013) Employer Engagement: What research do we need? In: Employer Engagement, SRHE Conference., 2013, London.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li-Hua, Richard (2013) Strategic Aspects of Third Stream Activities in Global Higher Education:Case Study of 5 Universities in the North East of England. In: 3rd International Conference of Tourism and Hospitality Management, In Tourism Issues Tourism Sciences Review 16, pages 205 - 212., 27 - 29 June 2013, Athens.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Tazzyman, Sarah (2012) Prioritising Third Stream Activity: the gap between University intentions and academic perceptions. In: SRHE Annual Research Conference, 2012, Newport, Wales.
Watson, Derek, Hall, L and Li - Hua, L (2012) Prioritising Third Stream Activity: the gap between University intentions and academic perceptions conference paper. In: SRHE Conference, 2012, Wales.
Watson, Derek (2010) KTP's and Innovation Vouchers. In: North East Innovation Factory Business Seminar, 2010, Newcastle,England..
Watson, Derek The Business Clinic, how to embed teaching, research and external engagement. In: University of Sunderland Teaching and Learning Conference, 2013, Sunderland, England.
Watson, Derek (2019) How to survive your doctoral journey. [Video]
Watson, Derek (2018) How to write a dissertation at undergraduate and postgraduate level. [Audio]
- Food Safety Cultural Compliance
- Innovation and technology transfer
- Total quality management
- Transformational change
- Changing mindsets
- NEBOSH Occupational Safety & Health Dip I & II (A07205 & B02664)
- BSi International Lead Auditor IS0 9001:2000 - Cert No: 100870/56443
- BSi International Lead Auditor ISO 14001:2004 - Cert No: 109221/76476
- BSi Auditing to ISO 9000 - Cert No: 101304
I am also a practising consultant in Management of Change, Total Quality Management (ISO 9001, 14001, 18001) Food Safety Culture Compliance and NEBOSH qualified in International Health Safety and Environment.In the press:
- Listeria or Hysteria? Why Brits Fear American Chlorinated Chicken Imports
- Brexit could be bad news for British food safety, experts warn, New Food Magazine
- BRC Issue 8 seeks to encourage a new culture of food safety, The Grocer
- Deal or No Deal, British food and drink manufacturers will suffer
- Class of 2018: Brewing up a great career
- Sunderland academic showcases safety model for China’s biggest food producers
- Sunderland University: Creative Fuse, Innovation Pilot
- Sunderland University: Creative Fuse, Placements
- LCB holds food safety seminar
- The 'Enlighten Model' Food Safety Culture
- How To Write A Dissertation at Undergraduate or Master's Level
- How To Survive Your Doctoral Journey