Lecturer in Computer Science
In 2007, I was awarded a PhD degree in Computer Science on the research topic of dynamic load balancing and communication latency optimisation of distributed simulations on computational grid at the University of Birmingham. I was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cloud Computing at the University of Leeds (2010-2013) and a Higher Scientific Officer (HSO) in e-Science at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and Daresbury Laboratory of Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) (2006-2010).
I teach on BSc Game Development and MSc Data Science.
I am also a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and held a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice since 2017.
My research interests are in the theories of Distributed Computing, Computational Intelligence, and Robotics and their applications in Digital Edutainment and Industry 4.0.
Helping enterprising students and graduates start up their own games studios or ICT businesses is also part of my broader teaching and research practices to promote and support student's digital E&I activities at the Enterprise Place at the University.
Teaching and supervision
- Foundation Project
Introduction to Game Development
Internet of Things
Advanced Software Development
- Data Visualisation
- Big Data In Organisations
- Big Data Security
- Data Science Product Development
- Computing Master's Project
Research interests for potential research students
- Cloud computing
- Big data analysis and visualisation
- Intelligent robots
- Gamification for e-learning
2019 New: An Augmented Reality Demonstration Platform of the University of Sunderland One Campus Masterplan
Ming Jiang (University of Sunderland); Dorian Morax (University of Bordeaux)
The project designed and developed a portable Augmented Reality technology based immersive and interactive demonstration platform of the One Campus Masterplan of University of Sunderland to illustrate some of the key visionary concepts, such as the Campus Landscaping, and other major landmarks/sceneries on the One Campus envisaged by the Masterplan, which develops a single unified campus connecting the current City Campus to the South and Sir Tom Cowie Campus at Saint Peter’s to the North in the City of Sunderland.
A New Storytelling of Sistine Chapel Ceiling Frescoes in Mixed Reality
Ming Jiang (University of Sunderland); Gabriel Benit & Nicolas Deguillaume (University of Bordeaux)
The project developed an immersive and interactive Mixed Reality Sistine Chapel e-Learning Platform, on which the Renaissance genius Michelangelo’s sacred representations of humanity are demystified and appreciated with 21st century cutting edge digital technology.
Humanoid Robot as an e-Learning Companion
James Hennerley, Matthew Dickinson, and Ming Jiang, Augmented Reality Enhanced Human Robot Interaction for Social Robots as e-Learning Companions, Proceedings of the 31st International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference (HCI 2017), University of Sunderland, St Peter’s campus, Sunderland, UK, 3 - 6 July 2017, HCI 2017 - Digital make-believe.
A demo of developing social robots.
I am passionate about data-centric knowledge discovery and digital innovations for solving challenging and interesting real-life problems:
- Distributed and scalable machine learning/data mining algorithms and services
- Intelligent and affective human-robot interactions
- QoS (eg risk, trust and security) modelling and assessments in Cloud/Grid infrastructures (IaaS) and services (SaaS)
- Program Committee Member of the Ninth International Conference of Cloud Computing and Services Science, Heraklion, Greece, 2-4 May, 2019
- Program Committee Member of the Eighth International Conference of Cloud Computing and Services Science, Funchal, Portugal, 19-21 March, 2018
- Program Committee Member of the British HCI Conference, Sunderland, UK, 3-6 July, 2017
- Program Committee Member of the Seventh International Conference of Cloud Computing and Services Science, Porto, Portugal, 24-26 April, 2017
- International Program Committee Member of the INNS Conference on Big Data (INNSBIGDATA 2016), Thessaloniki, Greece, 23-25 October 2016
- Program Committee Member of the Sixth International Conference of Cloud Computing and Services Science, Rome, Italy, 23-25 April, 2016
- Program Committee Member of the Fifth International Conference of Cloud Computing and Services Science, Lisbon, Portugal, 20-22 May, 2015
- Program Committee Member of the Fourth International Conference of Cloud Computing and Services Science, Barcelona, Spain, 3-5 April, 2014
- Technical Program Committee Member of CLOUD COMPUTING 2013: The Fourth International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization, Valencia, Spain, May 27 - June 1, 2013
- Technical Program Committee Member of CLOUD COMPUTING 2012: The Third International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization, Nice, France 22-27 July 2012