Programme Leader for Fashion Design and Promotion
I am a Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for BA (Hons) Fashion Design and Promotion. I joined the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries in 2019 after delivering the discipline of fashion for many years at the University of Hertfordshire, London. Previously, I was Senior Lecturer/Director of Teaching and Learning at Heriot-Watt University where I was responsible for developing and implementing the overall learning and teaching strategy which equips students with the necessary skills for the global fashion industry.
I deliver specialist teaching input in garment assembly and pattern cutting and my expertise in the discipline led me to publish a book, ‘Guide to Basic Garment Assembly for the Fashion Industry’.
I am keen to encourage students to embrace creative and challenging approaches to explore design through fabrication, cutting and assembly. My key research practice focuses on sustainable textiles, fashion and zero waste, steering me to establish an e-commerce business retailing products made from environmental textiles.
My research in learning, teaching and student experience has involved developing and implementing an integrated blended teaching experience, which has led me to work with universities in Sweden, Vietnam, Dubai, China and across Europe.
Teaching and supervision
- 2017 “Temperature testing leading to ongoing curriculum evolution in Creative Arts modules” Brownie, B., Smith, J. and Thomas, R. at the Higher Education Academy conference.
- 2016 Delivered a masterclass on Creative Pattern Cutting in Fashion Creativity through cutting and technologies, at the UK Fashion Education Showcase in Almaty, Kazakhstan on behalf of The British Council.
- 2016 “Creative Arts approaches to teaching and learning: Modes of engagement through visuals online mediums” Thomas, R. and Smith, J. at the Higher Education Academy conference.
- 2015 “In Another Instant: Focus and Interaction in Creative Arts Learning” Brownie, B., Smith, J. and Thomas, R. at the Higher Education Academy conference
- 2013 “Guide to Basic Garment Assembly for the Fashion Industry” a book with publisher John Wiley and Sons.
- 2010 “Developing an integrated blended learning delivery model” in fashion education at the Heriot-Watt University Flexible Learning Conference.
- 2009 “An application of an integrated Blended Learning approach in the traditional educational fashion design programme delivery”, at the AUCeLearn09 Conference, The American University in Cairo.