I am a Mechanical Engineer with an MSc in welding and PhD in heat treatment of steels with over 20 years of experience in industry, research and lecturing. I have supervised numerous BSc, MSc and PhD student projects in manufacturing processes, materials science and engineering in collaboration with automotive, power plants and oil and gas companies.
The majority of my research and proposals are based on the needs of the industry, through partnerships with colleagues, students, universities and companies to find breakthrough solutions to current standing issues while securing funding in parallel.
Research and development in additive and sustainable manufacturing are my broader areas of interest. I have been working closely with the manufacturing sector saving resources (materials and energy) ensuring a sustainable process. I strongly believe in a sustainable future and the importance of training the younger generation towards it.
Teaching and supervision
- Materials characterization
- Mechanical properties
- Manufacturing processes
- Material science and engineering
Research interests for potential research students
- Structure/property/processing/performance and sustainability relationships of engineering materials
- Engineering materials (metals, ceramics, polymers and composites)
- Manufacturing processes (casting, welding, heat treatment and additive manufacturing)
- Lightweighting and sustainability in the automotive, aerospace, construction and energy sector
- Heat treatment
- Investment casting