Assoc. Professor Radio and Participation
My research and practice is centred on community media production and cultures of transnational community radio and women's/feminist radio. I specialise in using mapping and participatory action research methods.
I was co-founder of Fem FM, the first women's radio station in the UK (1992) and co-curated a digital archive of the station in 2014. I have published widely about women and radio, including the edited volume ‘Women and Radio: Airing Differences’, (Routledge, 2000).
As PI for ´Transnational Radio Encounters´, I researched ways that community stations use radio to connect transnationally with similar minority ethnic, social and cultural groups. This research group commissioned the online interactive platform radio.garden that has attracted millions of users since its launch in 2016.
I co-ordinate ArtWorks-U, a support network for artists and creatives working in participatory settings which is part of the national Artworks Alliance group. I am executive producer for the weekly radio programme ArtyParti which won 2016 Community Media Association award for best arts radio programme.
Teaching and supervision
I contribute to undergraduate and MA modules in the following areas:
- Radio Management
- Radio Studies
- Community Media
- Community Radio theory and practices
- Women and Radio
- Transnational Radio Practices
- Media Industries and employability
- 2015–17: Co-investigator, with Professor Trish Winter and Dr Andrew Richardson: 'Culture Map: 'Putting Southwick on the Map', to develop a new methodology for involving local communities in the evaluation of arts-led cultural interventions.
- 2013-16: Transnational Radio Encounters: Mediations of Nationality, Identity and Community through Radio (Funder: HERA), including the Radio Garden.
- 2012-ongoing: Fem FM Archive, working with Bristol City Archives to establish a digital archive of the UK's first women's radio station.
- 2011-13: Community Media Applications and Participation (Funder: Lifelong Learning Programme. Education, Audiovisual and Cultural Executive Agency. Grundtvig.)
- 2009-10: CrossTalk: Moving stories from across borders, cultures, generations (Funder: EU-Programme, Socrates-Grundvig).
Mitchell, Caroline (2015) Re-Sounding Feminist Radio: A Journey through Women's Community Radio Archives. Feminist Media Histories, 1 (4). pp. 126-143. ISSN 2373-7492
Mitchell, Caroline (2020) Women’s Radio Production. In: The International Encyclopedia of Gender, Media, and Communication. Wiley. ISBN 9781119429128
Mitchell, Caroline and Lewis, Peter M (2018) Community Radio and Transnational Identities. In: Transnationalizing Radio Research, New Approaches to an Old Medium. transcript, Verlag Bielefeld, pp. 33-46. ISBN 9783837639131
Mitchell, Caroline (2014) Breaking the sound barrier, histories and practices of women's radio. In: Routledge Companion to British Media History. Routledge, London and New York, pp. 345-355. ISBN 9780415537186
Lewis, Peter and Mitchell, Caroline (2014) Fomento de la cohesión social: el papel de los medios communitarios [Promoting social cohesion: the role of community media]. In: Medios de proximidad: participación social y políticas públicas. íMedia/ComAndalucia, pp. 249-270. ISBN 9788461732746
Mitchell, Caroline (2012) 'Praxis and participation in community radio training in Europe'. In: Community Radio in the 21st Century. Peter Lang, Bern. ISBN 978-3-0343-0728-4
Lockwood, Alex, Mitchell, Caroline and Evi, Karasanathanapolou (2011) ‘Sparking Sustainability: an example from media practice’. In: Teaching Sustainability, Teaching Sustainably. Stylus, Grand Valley State. ISBN 978-1579227395
Mitchell, Caroline (2011) Voicing the Community: Participation and Change in Black and Minority Ethnic Local UK Radio. In: Postcolonial Media Culture in Britain. Palgrave Macmillan, UK. ISBN 9780230545304
Mitchell, Caroline and Jones, Susan (2006) 'Networking Community Media - Web Radio as a participatory medium'. In: From the Margins to the Cutting Edge Community Media and Empowerment. Hampton Press, Cresskill, NJ. ISBN 1-57273-718-2
Mitchell, Caroline and Baxter, Ann (2006) Organic Radio: The Role of Social Partnerships In Creating Community Voices. In: From the Margins to the Cutting Edge: Community Media and Empowerment. Hampton Press, pp. 69-100. ISBN 1572737182
Mitchell, Caroline (2004) Dangerously Feminine? Theory and Praxis of Women's Alternative Radio. In: Women and Media: International Perspectives. Blackwell Publishers, pp. 157-184. ISBN 1405116080
Mitchell, Caroline (2002) On Air/Off Air: Defining Women's Radio Space in European Women's Community Radio. In: Community Media in the Information Age: Perspectives and Prospects. Hampton Press, pp. 85-105. ISBN 1572733721
Mitchell, Caroline, O'Shea, Anthony and Lister, Brian (2010) Managing Radio. Sound Concepts Limited. ISBN 978-1-4452-2312-4
Mitchell, Caroline (2000) Women and Radio: Airing Differences. Routledge. ISBN 978-0415220712
Mitchell, Caroline (2016) Women and radio - airing differences. On the importance of community radio as a space for women’s representation, participation and resistance. Doctoral thesis, University of Sunderland.
Mitchell, Caroline, Winter, Trish and Richardson, Andrew (2017) Putting Southwick on the Map. [Artefact]
Mitchell, Caroline, Peter, Lewis, Golo, Föllmer, Per, Jauert, Jacob, Kreutzfeldt, Alexander, Badenoch and Sonja, de Leeuw (2016) radio.garden. [Artefact]
Mitchell, Caroline (2018) radio.garden [Research portfolio]. Interactive website and book chapter.
Mitchell, Caroline (2011) COMAPP - Community Media Applications and Participation. EU Lifelong Learning programme.
- Women and radio, history and practices
- Transnational radio
- Black and minority ethnic community radio, history and practices
- Community media and representations of migration
- Theory and practices of participatory radio
- Participatory arts evaluation methods
- Community media training methods
- Community media applications and participation
Other projects I have been involved with include:
- Editorial Board of The Radio Journal: International Studies in Broadcast and Audio Media
- Founder Radio Studies Network
- Radio Section of ECREA
- Women's Radio in Europe Network (WREN)
- Advisor/collaborator 'COMandalucia' Research group for local and community radio in Andalucia, Spain
- Expert Advisor to Community Media Association