Senior Technician - Radio
In the Media Centre, I look after five radio studios and two audio editing booths and have been involved in the refit of them all. I designed, specified and built the equipment for the main Spark studio, this is a fully digital studio and is the broadcast base for Spark Sunderland, the University's award winning community radio station.
I also specified the equipment and designed and built portable kit to allow live shows, either audio only or in-camera, to be broadcast on radio or streamed on video platforms from just about any location.
Teaching and supervision
I have previously taught Introduction to Sound, covering the fundamentals of sound, recording techniques and editing and mixing.
- Radio - I have designed and built many radio studios both on a freelance basis and as part of the technical team at the University
- Sound recording - including field recording and multi-track music recording
- Broadcast sound - for radio and television, including outside broadcasts
- Live presentation - I currently present Spark Gold, 2pm every Sunday on 107 Spark
- Hospital Radio - I have been involved with Radio Sunderland for hospitals for over 30 years and have held several management positions
- Model Railways - see my YouTube channel