Programme Leader District Nursing
I am Programme Leader for the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Community Practitioner District Nursing and a Senior Lecturer within the Faculty of Health and Wellbeing.
I am a registered member of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) holding qualifications in Adult Nursing, District Nursing, and Nurse Prescribing.
I joined the University of Sunderland in February 2022.
My practice background is district nursing and I worked in the community setting from qualifying. My last role in practice was as a District Nursing Sister in a busy team managing a team of staff and large caseload of complex patients.
My specialist area of practice is palliative and end-of-life care.
Teaching and supervision
I teach and facilitate the Postgraduate Diploma in District Nursing and support our District Nursing Apprentices in practice to achieve the knowledge, skills, and behaviour required within the District Nursing apprenticeship.
I lead modules in:
- Responding to Complex Health Needs in District Nursing Practice
- Developing and Leading Quality in District Nursing Practice
- Using Evidence and Information to Advance District Nursing Practice
I am passionate about nursing in the community setting, with an extensive background in community and district nursing. I have a specific interest in palliative and end-of-life care and nurse recruitment and retention in the NHS.
I am a member of the Association of District Nurse and Community Nurse Educators (ADNE).
- Leadership and management in nursing
- Leading quality in district nursing
- Public health and population health needs
- Palliative and end-of-life care