Principal Lecturer and Team Leader for Psychology
I graduated from Newcastle University in 2001 with first class honours and the Mary McKinnon Prize. I completed my PhD at Durham University and have experience in teaching in several North East universities.
I am an evolutionary psychologist and my research interests include sexuality and sexual behaviour, dark personality, adult play (related to a current project on reborn dolls) and higher education pedagogy (including interprofessional learning). I also have significant experience of programme design and development, and of higher education quality assurance and enhancement.
I am Chief External Examiner for Psychology at Birmingham City University.
Teaching and supervision
On the undergraduate courses, I am module leader for the Stage 2 optional module Meet the Relatives: Evolutionary Psychology and Animal Behaviour and the Stage 3 optional module Dark Personalities.
I also supervise research projects on the undergraduate and postgraduate project modules. I am Director of Studies for one PhD student conducting research on BDSM, and co-supervisor for another PhD student conducting research on perceptions of asexuality.
Research interests for potential research students
- Sexuality and sexual behaviour: I am currently working on a funded project on women's experiences of non-exclusive sexuality and supervising two PhD projects in this area, one on BDSM, and one on perceptions of asexuality.
- The Dark Triad personality (narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy)
- Pedagogical research (including interprofessional learning)
- Adult play: I am currently working on a project examining reasons for ownership of reborn dolls.
Conference or Workshop Item
Hayes, Catherine, Driscoll, Helen and Knowles, Michael (2016) Roll Up Roll Up: Showcasing Excellence and Sharing Best Practice in Programme Delivery across the Faculty of Applied Sciences. In: Learning and Teaching Festival, Students as Partners in Learning and Teaching, University of Sunderland Learning Enhancement Annual Conference, 24-26 Apr, University of Sunderland, UK.. (Submitted)
Owens, Rebecca, Driscoll, Helen, Farrelly, Daniel and Crawley, Rosalind (2015) Women Desire More Evidence of Commitment from a Partner as a Relationship Develops. In: Culture and Evolution Symposium, PsyPAG, 22-24 Jul 2015, Glasgow, UK.. (Unpublished)
- Evolutionary psychology
- Quantitative research methods
- Individual differences
- Domestic abuse
- Attractiveness, mate choice and body image
- Sexual behaviour
- The dark triad personality (psychopathy, narcissism, Machiavellianism)