Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

What are the language requirements for study?

Home / Help and advice / Info for international students / Your application and offer / What are the language requirements for study?

If English is not your first language you should have at least one of the following qualification (or equivalent) as a minimum:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Generally, the course requirements will be a minimum score of 6.0, with at least 5.5 or higher in each component: reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)

Any score above 180.

Cambridge Certification in Advanced English (CAE)

No score lower than 170.

O-Level English Language or GCSE English Language

You need grade C or above (UK Exam board).

Malaysian SPM 119

You need grade 6 or above (only grades 1, 2 or 3 are acceptable for Law).

Degree or HND taught in English for Postgraduate students (proof of qualification is required)

Trinity Integrated Skills in English (ISE) II

You need Merit or Distinction.

Please note: Some courses require a higher level of English language – read the course description carefully to see if this applies to your chosen course.

After 6 April 2015, you must take your IELTS exams at one of the test centres listed on the UKVI website.

If you have another qualification not listed above, contact the International Office for advice. If you do not have the necessary level of English you may need to take one of the University's English for Academic Purposes (EAP) University pre-sessional courses before you begin your course.

For some nationalities, we will accept a letter from your previous institution confirming that your degree has been taught and assessed in English.

If you have any questions about your English Language requirements, contact the University of Sunderland's International Office: international.office@sunderland.ac.uk / +44 (0) 191 515 3000.

Published: 18 June 2024