Published: 16 December 2020
Whether you’ve checked us out at an Open Day and want to know more, or have never even heard of Sunderland, we're sure there's a few things about the city and the University that you don't know. Here's 10 great reasons to choose Sunderland:
- Facilities: We’re always investing in new facilities, like our Living Lab and Helen McArdle House which features mock hospital wards, a pharmacy dispensary, training ambulance and a hi-fidelity simulation suite. We’ve also invested over £1m in engineering facilities, including a dedicated mechanical lab and a fluid lab.
- Employability: 93.4% of our graduates are in employment, further study or training within six months of graduating, according to DLHE 2016/17 (based on full-time, first degree, home leavers). You can also take advantage of a huge range of cv-enhancing activities from mentoring and placements to studying abroad, as part of Sunderland Futures.
- Location: Sunderland is a coastal city with beautiful beaches, historical sites and a modern city centre. Roker Beach and the Marine Activities Centre are just a short walk from our St Peter's campus. We've got 12 beaches in total, ranging from small and rugged to wide, sandy beaches with fish and chip shops, a promenade and an enticing range of watersports on offer. We're also only 30 minutes away from lively Newcastle on the metro, and within easy reach of Gateshead and Durham.
- Culture: We didn’t quite make City of Culture 2021, but we were super proud to be one of the final five cities shortlisted for the award. With developments like the new Northern Spire bridge, a new business district, a seafront regeneration programme and the redevelopment of our old Fire Station into a major new arts venue in progress, Sunderland’s best days are still to come.
- Inclusive: Sunderland was named as University of the Year for Social Inclusion (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021) so you know you'll always get a warm welcome and all the support you need.
- Well-connected campuses: There’s a free campus bus service linking the campuses, halls of residence and the city. Prefer walking or cycling? We've got that covered too – there's a Cycle Hub, or you can walk and enjoy the fresh air. It takes about 18 minutes to get between the two campuses on foot.
- Award winning: We provide estranged students with a bespoke support package as part of our 'We Care' programme and in recognition we picked up the Widening Access Initiative (Retention and Progression) Award at the 2020 NEON awards.
- Quality: We’ve risen 78 places in The WhatUni Student Choice Awards this year which made us the highest climber in 2019. Not bad! Plus, over 41,000 students reviews from 160 institutions across the UK placed us in 9th position in both the 'International' and 'Student Support' categories of the Awards.
- Indie: We do cool as well as anyone – Frankie and The Heartstrings, The Lake Poets and This Ain’t Vegas all hail from these fair lands. With Holmeside coffee serving the best artisan coffees this side of the Wear, all your hipster needs are covered.
- Bonus reason: We have the coolest Chancellor! Emeli Sandé is an award-winning singer who recently joined us and who knows, you just might find yourself next to her... pun intended.
So there you have it, 10 reasons to choose Sunderland. If you're still not convinced, there are plenty more.