Published: 4 July 2019
Whether you’ve checked us out at an Open Day and want to know more, or have never even heard of Sunderland, we're sure there are a few things about the city and the University that you don't know. Here are 10 great reasons to choose Sunderland:
- Facilities: We’re always investing in new facilities, like our new Living Lab which features a mock hospital ward, a pharmacy dispensary, a dementia-friendly patient's flat and a hi-fidelity simulation suite. We’ve also recently invested over £1m in engineering facilities, including a dedicated mechanical lab and a fluid lab.
- Employability: 93.4% of our graduates are in employment, further study or training within six months of graduating, according to DLHE 2016/17 (based on full-time, first degree, home leavers). For many courses, including BA (Hons) Journalism, BA (Hons) Performing Arts, LLB Law, BA (Hons) Social Work, BA (Hons) English, that figure is 100%. You can also take advantage of a huge range of cv-enhancing activities from mentoring and placements to studying abroad, as part of Sunderland Futures.
- Location: Sunderland is a coastal city with beautiful beaches, historical sites and a modern city centre. Roker Beach and the Marine Activities Centre are just a short walk from our St Peter's campus. We've got 12 beaches in total, ranging from small and rugged to wide, sandy beaches with fish and chip shops, a promenade and an enticing range of watersports on offer. We're also only 30 minutes away from lively Newcastle on the metro, and within easy reach of Gateshead and Durham.
- Well-connected campuses: There’s a free campus bus service linking the campuses, halls of residence and the city. Prefer walking or cycling? We've got that covered too – there's a Cycle Hub, or you can plan a walk and enjoy the fresh air. It takes about 18 minutes to get between the two campuses on foot.
- Support: There's a free travel pass on offer for new undergraduate students (eligibility criteria applies) which gives you access to the entire region, so Newcastle, Metrocentre and the wider region are all easily accessible, 7 days a week.
- Culture: We didn’t quite make City of Culture 2021, but we were super proud to be one of the final five cities shortlisted for the award. With developments like the new Northern Spire bridge, a new business district, a seafront regeneration programme and the redevelopment of our old Fire Station into a major new arts venue in progress, Sunderland’s best days are still to come.
- Incentives: There’s a wide range of scholarships on offer for all sorts of situations, such as getting great A Levels, coming from a low-income family, playing high-level sport or taking a year abroad during your course.
- Quality: We’ve risen 78 places in The WhatUni Student Choice Awards this year which made us the highest climber in 2019. Not bad! Plus, over 41,000 students reviews from 160 institutions across the UK placed us in 9th position in both the 'International' and 'Student Support' categories of the Awards.
- Indie: We do cool as well as anyone – Frankie and The Heartstrings, The Lake Poets and This Ain’t Vegas all hail from these fair lands. With Holmeside coffee serving the best artisan coffees this side of the Wear, all your hipster needs are covered.
- Bonus reason: We have the coolest Chancellor! Emeli Sandé is an award-winning singer who recently joined us and who knows, you just might find yourself next to her... pun intended.
So there you have it, 10 reasons to choose Sunderland. If you're still not convinced, there are plenty more.