Read our OVID-19 update.
Who is First Choice for?
The scheme has been specifically designed to help students who are interested in continuing their studies after Sixth Form/College and are interested in studying at the University of Sunderland. Therefore to be eligible for the scheme students must:
- Have an interest in studying in higher education
- Be interested in a subject area that is available at the University of Sunderland
- Be able/expected to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your level 3 qualifications
How to get your school involved
If you think your students would benefit from the scheme and want to be involved you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and get further information.
Find out how First Choice can benefit you and your students.
What are the benefits for your school?
- Book sessions around your availability
- Priority booking for University of Sunderland on-campus events
- Opportunities to use our University facilities free of charge
- Ongoing support for your students throughout the scheme
What are the benefits for your students?
- 16 tariff points to complement their offer for eligible University of Sunderland undergraduate course*
- A guaranteed conditional offer*
- Attend a dedicated Summer School to experience university life early
- Develop vital transferable skills needed within higher education
- Ongoing support through the university application process
- Meet people from across the North East also interested in studying at the University of Sunderland
*To be eligible for the tariff point reduction and guaranteed conditional offer students must successfully complete the scheme and choose us as their firm choice before the UCAS deadline.
*Courses that require interview are not included in the guaranteed conditional offer.
What courses can the 16 University of Sunderland tariff points be used against?
The 16 University of Sunderland tariff points awarded to First Choice students can be used against the majority of our courses.
The following courses are not eligible for the tariff point reduction/guaranteed conditional offer:
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing Practice
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing Practice
- BSc (Hons) Learning Disability Nursing Practice
- MPharm Pharmacy
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science and Out of Hospital Care
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS
- BSc (Hons) Physics with Mathematics Education (11-16 yrs) with QTS
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics Education (11-16 yrs) with QTS
- BA (Hons) Social Work
- MBChB Medicine
FAQs for teachers
Read our First Choice FAQs for teachers (.pdf).
Please get in touch to see how we can support you.
Tel: 0191 515 3294