University Research Ethics Group
All research proposals have to be submitted to the Online Ethics Review System – to be assessed by UREG – if they are proposing to work with participants who are:
- the general public;
- members of certain non-NHS support groups/charities;
- from the researcher’s place of employment
and the type of research includes:
- focus groups;
- case studies;
- observational studies;
- ethnographic research;
- overseas research;
- human tissue samples imported from outside the UK;
- human tissue samples collected from healthy volunteers;
- secondary use of tissue samples previously collected with consent for research and the patients or service users are not identifiable to the research team;
- human tissue samples held under the Human Tissue Authority licence.
Guidance for research ethics
For further guidance, read the frequently asked questions.
Contact us if you have any queries relating to UREG review.