Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

Private accommodation and landlords

We offer an accommodation guarantee for new, first-year students enrolling onto a course in Autumn 2024. In the following years of your degree, you may wish to live in private accommodation.

Where can I find private accommodation?

You should use a reputable source to search for private accommodation, for example:

If you are unable to find accommodation close to the University, you may need to extend your search outside of the city centre.

We’d advise you to look for accommodation in areas with links to the Metro – our public transport system which provides excellent links to the city and University. This will make it easier for you to get to and from campus.

What should I consider before signing a tenancy agreement?

We’d strongly recommend that you request to see the contract and all terms and conditions before signing it. Ensure that you have read thoroughly and understand it fully. For example, you should clearly understand:

Private accommodation terms and conditions

If you choose to live in off-campus accommodation, your tenancy agreement will outline your terms and conditions.

Legally, your private landlord or letting agent must adhere to legal requirements to rent you a property including:

Ensure that you are given all of the above before signing a tenancy agreement.

On the day you move in, we'd advise you to complete a written inventory – clearly record the condition of each room, all appliances, and the garden/outdoor space (if there is one). Take date-stamped photographs where possible.

As a tenant, you have legal obligations to your landlord. These include paying rent to the set requirements, keeping the property clean and tidy, and reporting repairs and damages. You must also not cause a nuisance to co-tenants or others living around you.

What is a rent guarantor?

If you are living off campus in accommodation provided by a private landlord or a letting agent, you may also be asked to provide a guarantor. Providing a guarantor is common practice in the UK and provides security and knowledge that the rent will be paid in full and on time.

A guarantor is someone who agrees to pay your rent for you, or reimburse the landlord for damages caused by you, if you fail to do so. Guarantor agreements are legally binding.  Ensure that if you are required to complete one, you have read and understood it.

If you cannot provide a qualified UK guarantor, Housing Hand offers a guarantor service at a cost.

Housing Hand requires that you provide the following to be eligible for the guarantor service:

Your private landlord or letting agent may also require a reference from you if you have had your own home before. Usually, this will be a letter from your previous landlord about their experience with you as a tenant.

Landlords and letting agents have a legal duty to ensure their tenants have a legal right to live in the UK for the entire period of their tenancy agreement. To verify this, you may be asked to show your original passport and any relevant visa or immigration documentation before you can be offered accommodation. 

You may be asked for a ‘share code’ from the GOV.UK website. See further information on your right to rent.