Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content
ReciteMe accessibility toolbar button

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

The majority of international students who apply to study with the University of Sunderland will require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will then use this CAS to apply for your Student Visa. We will let you know what documentation you need to give to us.

Frequently asked questions

How can I check if I need a visa to study with you?

To check whether you need a visa to apply for UK studies, please see the 'Check if you need a UK visa' online tool on the gov.uk website.

I am a dependent on another person’s visa, do I need a CAS?

This will depend on the type of visa you are dependent on, and the expiry date of this visa. We will need to gather some more information from you before we can advise further. Please get in touch with us.

I am an EU national, with the recent changes in immigration due to Brexit, will I need a visa?

To check whether you need a visa to apply for UK studies, please see the Studying in the UK: guidance for EU students' section of the gov.uk website.

Pre-CAS Checks – what are they?

Before you are issued a CAS you will need to complete some checks to ensure you have the best chance to be granted a visa.

The below checks will be carried out by the Immigration Compliance team. Click each one to find out more about them.

The Immigration Compliance Team will contact you by email to confirm which of these checks you will be required to complete.

CAS Request Form – what is it?

The CAS request form is your opportunity to confirm the accuracy of your personal details and the course that you want to study. This makes sure that the details on your CAS are correct.

We will ask you to complete your ‘CAS Request Form’ which can be done on the MyApplication portal page.

What happens after I have passed all my Immigration Compliance checks?

Once you have submitted all the documentation that we need, you will be ready to be issued a CAS. We will tell you when this point is reached.

If you have applied and paid your deposit within the timescales stated in your offer letter, we can only issue you a CAS if there are still places left on your course.

If there are still places on your course and you have paid a deposit, then the Immigration Compliance team will review your documentation and if you meet all the conditions progress you to the CAS stage.