Principal Lecturer, Team Leader, Journalism and Communications
I worked as a journalist and editor for magazines and national newspapers for 25 years, including roles as Deputy Editor of Grazia and Head of Features at the Daily Mirror.
I am also a member of the media law examinations board for the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ). I have a PgCert in Teaching of Higher Education and I'm a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Teaching and supervision
Conference or Workshop Item
Watson, Carole (2014) "Close pals say..." Are celebrity weekly magazines the new News of the World when it comes to legal and ethical problems? In: Association for Journalism Education spring conference, 10 Jan 2014, University of Sunderland London campus. (Unpublished)
- Fashion journalism
- Media law
- Practical ways for publishers to benefit from interns
- Days of despair, days of triumph Royals: 1981 to 2017
Toronto Sun, 1 July 2017
- Is there a difference in the reporting of the Finsbury Park terror attack? The Pool, 18 June 2017
How could the media report Helen's trial? BBC News, 15 September 2016Author of media law and fashion public relations chapters in:
- McKay, J (2018, 4e) The Magazines Handbook
- Bradford, J (2014) Fashion Journalism
- McKay, J (2013, 3e) The Magazines Handbook