Jump to accessibility statement Skip to content

English language evidence

Home / Help and advice / Info for international students / Immigration compliance / English language evidence

Below are a few examples of different types of English Language evidence that we may accept:

  • UKVI Verified IELTS (Academic)
  • Non-approved UKVI IELTS (Academic)
  • Letter from your college/university confirming that you have been 'Taught in English' depending on the region that you are applying from. Please contact immigrationcompliance@sunderland.ac.uk to find out if you can use this.
  • UK Degrees (which have been delivered in the UK)
  • Pre-Sessional English Certificate
  • LanguageCert
  • Oxford International Online Digital

Frequently asked questions

How long are English language certificates valid for?

  • IELTS: This qualification has a maximum two-year validity to the start date of the course
  • Secondary/High School English qualification: This qualification has a five-year validity to the start date of the course
  • Pre-Sessional English certificate: This qualification has a maximum two-year validity period to the start date of the course. Please be aware that the University of Sunderland will have discretion over what we will accept/will not accept from other universities.

If your qualification has expired, you can submit a letter from your college or university stating that you were taught in the medium of English during your studies. This form of English language evidence can only be used if your previous study was at RQF level 5 or higher. The validity for this may vary depending on the country of issue. 

I am currently studying in the UK; do I need to provide English language evidence?

If you are currently completing a higher education course in the UK, this cannot be used as English evidence as you have not yet obtained your qualification. Once you have successfully completed your course you can then submit your certificate as evidence.

Is there somewhere I can check to see if I need to provide English language evidence?

For further guidance in relation to English language evidence, visit the Knowledge of English Language on the government website. 

Published: 26 July 2023