We usually require applicants to hold an honours degree or equivalent.
For those without a first degree studied in the medium of English, Academic IELTS is required. (A minimum Academic IELTS band score of 6.5, with 6.5 in writing, and no less than 6 in Reading and Speaking and Listening).
Changes to the pre-course placement and mentor requirements during this period of Covid-19 for 2020/21
If you are not currently employed as a teacher and will be seeking a placement school, the following has been put in place in order to support you. Please read the following before applying.
Due to the Covid-19 situation for applications for 2020/21, we will offer a place on the course to applicants who meet the entry criteria but due to school closures have been unable to secure a school and mentor before embarking on the course. However, we must emphasise that in order to complete the teaching practice module EDP380 and ultimately the course overall, it is a requirement for trainees to secure both a school and mentor. Ideally, you will have this in place before the winter break in December.
Please note that securing a mentor and school is the responsibility of the trainee and not that of the University. With all four modules complete, you will graduate with a PGCE Education. You may however take up to three years to fully complete and graduate, should this be necessary.
Advice on how to find a placement
Advice to applicants seeking a placement (.pdf)
PGCE Education FAQs (.pdf)
Observation of experienced teachers
Where possible, you should secure a reasonable number of teaching observations per week to support your work on the Subject Studies and Practice of Teaching modules. This can be in a school of your choice, and it is usually in the school where you will undertake your placement.
Before applying please note:
Ensure you read the information above about changes to the pre-course placement and mentor requirements during this period of Covid-19 for 2020/21.
Along with your application form, you should upload the following supplemental application documents (.pdf):
1. Postgraduate agreement form
2. Postgraduate school proposal form completed by the Head Teacher of your placement school where this has been agreed
3. Postgraduate mentor form completed by your Mentor where this has been agreed
You must also provide us with a copy of your degree certificate.
We accept the following as evidence of English Language:
- Transcript or certificate of your degree which clearly states you studied in the medium of instruction in English
- Letter from your University clearly stating the medium of instruction to be English
- Academic IELTS. If English is not your first language you need to send proof of Academic IELTS level 6.5 or equivalent (applicants whose first language is not English must achieve a minimum Academic IELTS band score of 6.5, with 6.5 in writing, and no less than 6 in Reading and Speaking and Listening.)
Without all of the above documents, we will not be able to make you an offer on this course.